As early as 1865, Ludwig II commissioned Gottfried Semper to design a Richard Wagner Festival Theater, but the plan came to naught, and Wagner built his own Festival Theater in Bayreuth. General Manager Ernst von Possart then took up the subject again around the turn of the century.
With the aid of private contributions, the auditorium was completely renovated in 1988. By 1996, the stage area had also been completely restored and supplied with an orchestra pit that could be automatically raised and lowered.
On November 10 of the same year the Prinzregententheater witnessed a festive reopening with Tristan und Isolde. Today, the theater is the headquarters of the Bavarian Theater Academy. It is used both for student performances as well as for performances by the Bavarian State Opera and guest appearances.
GBP, Prinzregentenplatz 12, 81675 Munich, Germany, Google Maps