About the Event
Travel back in time with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra as they perform the classical music treasure The Nutcracker among other works by Tchaikovsky, Rimsky‐Korsakov, Vaughan Williams, Humperdinck, Waldteufel and Kaprálová in London's stunning Cadogan Hall.
Imagine yourself in a winter wonderland and an evening of orchestrated Christmas treats awaits. The much‐loved ballet suites from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty are accompanied by sparkling melodies, as is another favourite of the season, the Prelude from Hansel and Gretel. The lively somersault dance from Rimsky‐Korsakov's opera Snow White is perfectly complemented by the smooth Waltz of the Ice Skaters, reminiscent of both ice dancing and ballroom whirlwind. The programme is rounded off by Kapralova's Christmas Prelude, a lesser‐known gem full of Czech folk melodies and carols, and Vaughan Williams' Prelude on an old Christmas Aire, based on On Christmas night the joy‐bells ring.
Sheeon Sung makes her debut with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with this festive programme. Winner of the Sir Georg Solti International Conducting Competition and the Gustav Mahler Conducting Competition, she has worked with many international orchestras in her pioneering career.
- Humperdinck, Engelbert – Hansel and Gretel, Prelude
- Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich – The Sleeping Beauty, Suite
- Rimsky‐Korsakov, Nikolai Andreyevich – The Snow Maiden, Dance of the Tumblers
- Kaprálová, Vítězslava – Prélude de Noël
- Waldteufel, Emile – The Skaters’ Waltz
- Vaughan Williams, Ralph – Prelude on an Old Carol Tune
- Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich – The Nutcracker – The Nutcracker Suite
|Orchestra:|| Royal Philharmonic Orchestra |