Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
Academy of St Martin in the Fields, © Photo: Bill Page
The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields is an English chamber orchestra. The group was founded in London by Sir Neville Marriner, attracting some of the finest players in London, many of whom considered themselves to be refugees from conductors. Its name comes from Trafalgar Square's St Martin-in-the-Fields church, in which its first concert was performed, on November 13, 1959. The initial performances at St. Martin's church were as a small, conductorless string group, and played a key role in the revival of baroque performances in England. It has since expanded to include winds, but is of flexible size, changing its make-up to suit its repertoire, which ranges from the Baroque to contemporary works.