About the Event
Enjoy masterpieces of music with outstanding musicians in the unique atmosphere of the famous Gewandhaus Leipzig.
The Gewandhaus zu Leipzig, built in 1981 as home to the Gewandhausorchester, plays host to over 600 events and in excess of half a million visitors each year. The Gewandhaus stages around 250 classical concerts per season: Große Concerte with the Gewandhausorchester, chamber music, choral and organ concerts, music festivals and much more. The Gewandhaus‘s performance programme is complemented and enriched by a diverse range of music education and outreach activities and projects.
The phenomenal acoustic of the Great Hall has set a benchmark worldwide and must shy away from no comparisons with the world‘s newest concert halls. The sonic environment provided by the Great Hall was engineered to complement the considerable demands of the Gewandhausorchester. The steeply rising ‚vineyard‘ terraces offer perfect viewing from each of the Hall‘s 1,900 seats. The Mendelssohn Hall with its 498 seats offers a more intimate ambience for chamber music concerts. The Gewandhaus is the only concert hall to have been built during the GDR era.
Situated centrally, on Augustplatz, the Gewandhaus can be reached by foot quickly from any point in the city centre.
- Georg Friedrich Händel – Konzert für Orgel und Orchester d‐Moll op. 7/4 HWV 309
- Georg Friedrich Händel – Concerto grosso in G minor, op. 6, n° 6, HWV 324
- Georg Friedrich Händel – Organ Concerto in G minor, op. 4/1, HWV 289
- Georg Friedrich Händel – Concerto grosso in A Major op. 6 No. 11 HWV 329
- Georg Friedrich Händel – Konzert für Orgel und Orchester F‐Dur HWV 305a
|Organ player:||Michael Schönheit|
|Ensemble:||Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum|