Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society
Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society was established on December 4th, 1940. At the beginning the Society consisted of a symphony orchestra, mixed choir, and folk song and dance ensemble. LNPh’s activities were terminated in 1943, and restarted in August of 1944. In 1958–1966 it housed the Lithuanian Orchestra of Popular Music (dir. J. Tiškus). In 1963, the Concert Hall was enriched with new organ. Among other collectives, the Society involved Wind Quintet (1965–1990), Lithuanian String Quartet (1945–1996), and choir Polifonija (a member of LNPh from 1986 to 1997), as well as popular music ensembles (Nerija, Estradinės melodijos, Plius minus, V. Kernagis’ ensemble). LNPh held its divisions in Klaipėda (1963–2003) and Šiauliai (1982–2003).
Directors: J. Kardelis (1940–1941), J. Lenktaitis (1941–1943), V. Pečiūra (1944–1945), P. Sagaitis (1945–1949), B. Fedaravičius (1949–1970), D. Trinkūnas (1970–1973), P. Mendelsonas (1973–1974 and 1979–1985), G. Želvys (1975), R. Žigaitis (1975–1978), A. Budrys (1986–1988). Artistic directors: M. Šteimanas (1944–1946), B. Fedaravičius (1946–1963), R. Žigaitis (1963–1986). General directors: G. Kėvišas (1988–2000), E. Mikšys (2001–2006), R. Prusevičienė (since 2006)
Lithuanian National Philharmonic Society, Aušros Vartų g. 5, 01013 Vilnius, Lithuania, Google Maps