In 1589 the Municipality of Vienna left the empty penitential monastery built between 1383 and 1387 to the Franciscan Order. When the Franciscans took over the building — in which former prostitutes were housed as penitents — the church was rebuilt, including old components. This is the reason why Vienna's only sacral building in Renaissance style is still decorated with Gothic elements. The church was completed in 1607 (although the interior design was only completed around 1720), the monastery was not completed until 1630.
Franziskanerkirche Wien, Franziskanerpl. 4, 1010 Vienna, Austria, Google Maps