Chiesa di S.Maria della Fava
Situated in the heart of a secret Venice, between the Rialto bridge and S.Mark square, this marvellous eighteenth century building has extraordinary artistic treasures, for example the famous "Education of the Virgin" by G.B.Tiepolo, in addition to masterpieces from Piazzetta, Amigoni, and an ancient image that gave the name to the church. A Venetian legend states that while the artist was painting the picture, his beloved fiancée which he presumed dead, appeared to him. The image was considered a miracle. It is also possible to see the two recesses where the sculptures of the two lovers stood.
Another story states that Botticelli painted his renowned Venus after seeing a beautiful lady coming out of the church. An ancient marble shell, as in his famous painting can be found in the church. The church also houses sculptures by Torretto and Morlaiter, two renowned artists of the eighteenth century. The organ is a valuable instrument built in 1754 by Pietro Nacchini. The intimate beauty of this venue and its splendid acoustics make it an ideal location to enjoy concerts.
Chiesa di S.Maria della Fava, Castello, 5503, 30122 Venice, Italy, Google Maps