The Grandmasters’ Palace stands in the very heart of Valletta and besides being the Office of The President, the Palace also serves as the House of Representatives and also hosts The Armoury which reflects the past glories of the Order. The first structure on this site was built during the reign of Grandmaster Jean de La Cassiere (1572‐1581) in order to serve as the Grandmaster's Palace. Subsequent Grandmasters enlarged and embellished the original structure until it took its present shape during the mid‐18th century.
Following the French occupation between 1798 and 1800 the Palace was taken over by the British administration, thereby serving as the Palace of the Governor. It also saw Malta's constitutional development as it was the seat of Malta's first Constitutional Parliament in 1921 and, following Independence in 1964, the seat of Parliament and also of the Head of State.
The Throne Room, originally known as the Supreme Council Hall or Sala del Maggior Consiglio, was used by successive Grandmasters to host ambassadors and high ranking dignitaries visiting the island and is now used for state functions held by the President of Malta. The cycle of wall paintings decorating the upper part of the hall represent salient episodes of the 1565 Great Siege of Malta and are the work of the Rome‐trained painter Matteo Perez d’Aleccio (1547‐1616). Of particular interest is the original coffered ceiling and the late 18th century — style chandeliers.
The President's Palace (Grandmaster's Palace), Palace square, VLT1210 Valletta, Malta, Google Maps