The Pavillion Hall on the Island is located at the Catherine Palace (Tsarskoye Selo) in Saint Petersburg. The birth and development of the palace and park ensemble of Tsarskoye Selo is connected with the liberation from Swedish rule of the old Novgorodian lands on the banks of the River Neva, the construction of St Petersburg and its establishment as the capital of the Russian state. Selo means “village” and when construction of a palace began it acquired the elevated title of Tsarskoye Selo – “Tsar’s Village”. The creation of royal residence in place of the estate began in the 1710s and continued in the 1720s. Nearby a village grew up as well as an area of housing for court servants. For two centuries Tsarskoye Selo was a grand imperial summer residence, the construction of which was a matter of state importance and involved departments of the government.
After the October Revolution of 1917 the palace and park ensemble was turned into a museum and the new authorities took over the best buildings in the town as educational and health establishments for children. As a consequence, when the town was renamed in 1918 it became Detskoye Selo – “Children’s Village”. On 9 June that same year the Catherine Palace was opened as a museum. In 1937, when the country marked the 100th anniversary of the tragic death of Alexander Pushkin, the town where the future poet had received his education in the Imperial Lyceum was given his name. Finally, in January 1983 the palaces and parks in the town of Pushkin were given the status of a preserve and in 1990 this became the Tsarskoye Selo State Museum Preserve.
Pavillion Hall on the Island, Sadovaya Street, 7, 196601 St. Petersburg, Russian Federation, Google Maps