Trusted Shops badge
  • Benediktinerstift St. Lambrecht
    Benediktinerstift St. Lambrecht

Benediktinerstift St. Lambrecht

St. Lambrecht, Austria

A great part of the Romanesque monastery church, which was inaugurated in 1160, collapsed in 1327; a new Gothic church was constructed which incorporated the Romanesque nave walls and the church towers up to the height of the clocks. Nearly 100 years later, in 1421, the mighty three‐nave hall church was inaugurated (length 78 m). In the mid‐17th century, the church was converted to Baroque style by the Italian architect Domenico Sciassia under Benedict Pierin, Abbot of the Abbey of St. Lambrecht: during this period, the Western gallery was erected, the choir screen was demolished and the fa?ades were converted to Baroque style. Apart from a few 14th century murals which were exposed during the renovation work, the church interior dates back to the 17th century — like the rest of the monastery buildings which replaced the old medieval edifices.


Benediktinerstift St. Lambrecht, Hauptstrasse 1, 8813 St. Lambrecht, Austria, Google Maps

There are currently no event dates available.