With the goal to build a large theater, Sir Alfred Butt rented an area in the center of Paris in the year 1913. The theater was built during the First World War by the British architect Bertie Crew. The inauguration took place in the year 1919. One of the guests was President Wilson, who came to France in order to negotiate the contracts of Versailles. The building symbolizes the dream of the Entente Cordiale, but the project was not an economic success right away. During the twenties the building was called Théâtre Mogador. At this time it gained fame with the performances of the Ballets Russes (Petruschka, Le Bouffon, L'après midi d'un Faune and Schéhérazade) and with the Thés Mogador performances of operettas and plays in the afternoon. Until the seventies the Théâtre Mogador was mainly used for performances of operettas. An extensive renovation revived the building to its new splendor in the year 1983. Since the nineties, the Théâtre Mogador has also been used as a concert hall.
Théâtre Mogador, 25, rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris, France, Google Maps