The actual church, whose cornerstone was laid down by young King Louis XIV in 1653 was designed by Jacques Le Mercier. The building replaced a church built in 1577 as an extension to St. Germain l'Auxerrois church. Its portal was built in 1736 by Robert de Cotte. The chancel was extended in 1709 with the circular Lady Chapel, again in 1717 with the Communion Chapel and finally with the Calvary Chapel in 1754. With these additions, the length of the church was unexpectedly increased.
The Jesuit‐style portal is powerful and impulsive. The church is 125 m long and its interior is harmonious and serene but slightly monotonous. It is set along the traditional medieval design, as it is the case at St. Sulpice. St. Roch is a classic art museum rarely matched: paintings by J.B. Pierre, Michel Anguier, Le Moyne, Falconet and a large number of funeral monuments.
Eglise Saint‐Roch, 296, rue Saint‐Honoré, 75001 Paris, France, Google Maps
Handicap toilet: Yes