Antonín Dvořák Theatre
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Construction on the City Theatre began in 1904 based on the neo‐baroque design of Viennese architect Alexander Graf. The result of the work done by the architect and various artists is one of the most beautiful theatres in the republic.
The City Theatre (Stadttheater) was festively opened on 28 October 1907, and until the year 1919 all performances were held only in German. Since 1919, the theatre has been the permanent seat of the National Moravian‐Silesian Theatre. During the Second World War however, the artists were forced to abandon the building until after the end of the war, when it was handed back to the NMST.
The name 'Antonín Dvořák Theatre' has belonged to this building of the City Theatre since 1990. Today it is home to the opera, drama, musical theatre, and ballet companies of the National Moravian‐Silesian Theatre.
The auditorium of the Antonín Dvořák Theatre is wheelchair accessible.
Antonín Dvořák Theatre, Smetanovo náměstí 3104/8a, 701 04 Ostrava, Czech Republic, Google Maps