The Princess Theatre
The Princess Theatre is the second building on the present site — the first being Astley's Amphitheatre which opened in 1854 containing a central ring for equestrian entertainment and a stage at one end for dramatic performances. It was named in honour of the Astley Royal Amphitheatre, also known as Astley's Amphitheatre, near Westminster Bridge, London.
In 1857, the amphitheatre was renovated and the facade extended, then re‐opening as the Princess Theatre and Opera House.
The Princess Theatre, 163 Spring St, VIC 3000 Melbourne, Australia, Google Maps