The main stage of the Dresden State Theatre was erected between 1911 and 1913 opposite the Zwinger. It is built – typically for Dresden – in Neo‐Baroque and Jugendstil. The facade facing the Zwinger was furnished with arcades and baroque embellishments to match the Zwinger’s architecture. The massive hydraulic stage machinery was one of the most modern stage sets of that time. The stage house itself was not destroyed in World War II but the auditorium burned out. Between 1946 and 1948 the theatre was rebuilt and served as venue for drama, opera and ballet until the reopening of the Semperoper in 1985. The theatre has a historically renovated auditorium with two balconies and almost 800 seats.
Schauspielhaus, Theaterstraße 2, 01067 Dresden, Germany, Google Maps