• Matthias Church (Matyas Templon), Budapest

Matthias Church (Matyas Templon)

Budapest, Hungary

The richly decorated interior of the Matthias Church offers a popular setting for classical concerts. Built in the mid-13th century, the church was frequently restored, repaired, and remodeled. Originally named the Church of Our Lady, this famous landmark in Budapest's Castle District was renamed for the much-loved 15th-century Renaissance king who contributed the towers and was married here.

The last two Hungarian Habsburg kings were crowned in the Matthias Church: Franz Joseph in 1867 (Liszt wrote and performed his Coronation Mass for the occasion) and Charles IV in 1916.

Event Dates

Address

Matthias Church (Matyas Templon)
Szentháromság tér 2.
1014 Budapest
Hungary
See on Google Maps

Transport

Take the Funicular from Chain Bridge; the public bus, called Várbusz from Széll Kálmán tér (formerly Moszkva tér) or one of the many paths leading up to Castle Hill.

Seating Information