The Hungarian State Opera House is at once a splendid example of neo‐Renaissance architecture and a historical treasure: the symbol of the 300‐year‐old Hungarian operatic tradition, this sumptuously adorned building hosted Gustav Mahler as one of its first directors.
The structure and rich decor of the Hungarian State Opera House were completed by Miklós Ybl in 1884, and the impressive result is considered to be one of his masterpieces. Its neo‐Renaissance building, with elements of the lavish Baroque, is opulently ornamented with paintings and sculptures by Bertalan Székely, Mór Than and Károly Lotz. Ascending the gently curved staircases of this long‐venerated emblem of great music, visitors soon learn why the Hungarian State Opera House is counted amongst the most beautiful in the world.
Hungarian State Opera House, 22 Andrássy út, 1124 Budapest, Hungary, Google Maps