Teatro Comunale di Bologna
One of the most important opera houses in Italy, and the site of numerous historic premieres, the Teatro Comunale di Bologna was the first major opera house to be constructed with public funds.
Built in 1763, with a bell‐shaped auditorium and four tiers of boxes, the theater was constructed primarily of stone, following several high‐profile theater fires in the city. The ceiling of the theater's gallery is designed to give the appearance of opening to the sky, and although several restorations and reconstructions have taken place over the intervening centuries, the Teatro Comunale remains an exquisite example of a golden age of opera house architecture.
Rossini, Bellini, Verdi, Wagner, and Toscanini are all counted among the famous musicians associated with the theater.
Teatro Comunale di Bologna, Largo Respighi 1, 40126 Bologna, Italy, Google Maps