The Jesuit Church
This Jesuit church was built on architect Francesco Bonamici's plan. It is the church of the old University of Malta and is incorporated in the University building. It occupies nearly half the building and was built between 1592 and 1600. The entrance is a magnificent Baroque design.
When the Jesuits were expelled from the island in 1768, the college was constituted as a University. Work continued throughout the 17th century but the two storey early baroque facade of the church still looks incomplete. It contains a disproportionately large number of spiral columns in its three aisle plan. The titular picture is Mattia Preti's 'Liberation of St.Peter'.
Ihre Suche ergab leider kein Ergebnis.
Main Hall, 150 Sitze